Confession: This weekend was a complete and utter Paleo failure. Well, the whole week was actually. With our busy work schedules we were “forced” to order takeout from one of our favorite restaurants (I did pay extra for sweet potato fries instead of regular… that counts, right?!) and a wedding on Friday delivered with a beautiful venue, far too much alcohol and four-courses of gluten and dairy heavy (but delicious) meals. We are certainly paying the price having not eaten like this in weeks!!
Now that we are back in Boston, we can’t wait to get back to our home cooked, Paleo friendly meals and just overall feeling healthier and more energized. Both of us were craving a good dose of veggies and a clean, refreshing meal to kickstart the week. This salad worked perfectly as a light dinner for both of us tonight but is probably better served as a lunch recipe, or even a side dish.
1 bundle of asparagus
1 pint grape tomatoes
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp ground pepper
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Chop asparagus into one inch pieces.
3. Combine chopped asparagus and pine nuts in a small mixing bowl. Lightly coat with olive oil (this is in addition to the 1 tbsp of olive oil that you will use later) and season with salt and pepper to taste (again, in addition to the salt and pepper that you will use later from the ingredients list).
4. Spread the asparagus and pine nut mixture on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
5. While the asparagus and pine nuts are baking, chop the grape tomatoes in half.
6. Combine asparagus, pine nuts and grape tomatoes in a medium sized bowl.
7. Add balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sea salt and ground pepper. Mix well.